Friday, 16 January 2015

Zhenya Strigalev's mouth announces upcoming album


We've all seen plenty of insightful album promo videos. Maybe it has an interview with the artist, some behind the scenes footage of rehearsals and general band banter, etc. Zhenya Strigalev is about to launch the follow up to his 2012 "Smiling Organism Volume 1", and so naturally, he needed one of these videos.

Presumably what happened was that Michael Janisch rang Zhenya up and said "Hey Zhenya, please can you record a video of yourself to help promote the new album?"
"Sure," said Zhenya.
"Oh, and by the way," said Michael, "When you do it, please be sure to make as little sense as possible and zoom in so that we can only see your mouth. Kthnxbi."

Well luckily for Janisch, he got exactly what he asked for. It's brilliant in its own way, and reads like a Beckett script that's had a bit of time to chill out:

"I'm very excited...
[music]
... because... my new album coming out... I was h - hiding it for a long time... one year... and now... it is going to be out. I was waiting... for someone ... to come... and speak to me... about the possibility... of making a hole... in the forest....nobody did it, i did it myself. And what I found there, I found this small object.
[music]
Robin... Goodie... Robin Goodie... by the band... Smiling... Ooorganism... Smiling Organism
which feature Eric Harland drums, Tim Lefebvre bass guitar... Taylor Eigsti... piano... Larry Grenadier... double double... double bass... Ambrose Akinmusire trumpet.
We didn't go... to the river... but... we went to the studio... and we did it... in two days... it was very happy... time... and I nearly felt... in tears...because of that... but i didn't... please come... and get a CD... somewhere where you can... and if you do it... I will happily... come, and... slap you... in the ...
hand... I will give you a good shake... hand... so don't hesitate... do it... thank you very much"

I really enjoyed the last album - it was packed with kaleidoscope nursery-rhymes played by what sounded like a slightly evil virtuoso electric toyshop - so I'm hoping the new one (out on Feb 2nd and available from Whirlwind) is just as bonkers. Anyway, without further ado, here it is. Zhenya's unique approach to the ubiquitous EPK:



Compare "Not I" by Samuel Beckett: